Saturday, May 31, 2008

Vacation Bible School

Well, I think every church in Oxford is having their Bible schools this week. For those of you who don't know...this is a week or several days when kids come to church and sing songs, play games, make crafts, etc., and learn how much Jesus loves them.

I can remember growing up and going to Bible school and singing Father Abraham and the arky song. Can't remember quite how that one went. Those were great times. I look back on those days and realize that that is where the foundation of my faith came from. I learned about how to become a christian and about God's grace. I am excited that is such a fun thing for so many kids. My kids are always pumped about the theme each year and the new songs. (We use the Lifeway curriculum/ songs by Jeff Slaughter.) Here is the link: Outrigger Island
Claire especially loves the motions to the songs. We are starting off tomorrow night with a luau with a real roasted pig. Matt is going to rock out on some ukulele. Can't wait.

I am teaching the 1st and 2nd grade class. That is a wild and crazy group. Lots of fun. Never a dull moment. Carpe diem. Oh yeah.

I am excited because I get to wear a grass skirt (thank you, Amber) and sit in a tiki hut built by my good guy friends at church who love a good project. They had the massive nail gun in the room and I thought I needed a bullet proof vest on by the way it sounded. It is covered in bamboo and everything. Thank you, Kevin and Russell. Claire added her decorating touch to it by putting pinwheels through the roof of the hut. I was impressed by how she spaced them out just right. Two were too close together and she took one out and adjusted it. Aww.

Today I ran all over town looking for more beach/luau paraphernalia. About all I could find was a flower bra. Don't see myself in that one.
My friend from school gave me her mini grill that she bought to take her class to the park, so while I was out I bought hot dogs and s'more fixins. Even though it was incredibly late we cranked up the charcoal and watched them flame. We threw away our other grill after getting tired of moving it in our early years of moving all the time. Anyway, this one did great for now. I have a fire pit for the backyard in my mind for the summer. May happen this summer, maybe not. I did make one improvement by buying stepping stones to go from the patio to the pool. Anyway...enough of me and my backyard.

Matthew is playing the electric guitar with Matt in the morning for worship. I have been listening to them practice upstairs and they sound great. It is cool to hear them together.

Hope your summers are getting off to a great start. It is fun to have so much planned and not planned. We can't wait to see our friends from Park Place in July. We're going to Grandma's and Grandpa's next weekend and then to Mom's. Maybe to Atlanta after that. Relaxing the whole time. These are some of the times that teaching really looks good.

Take care.

No comments:

YouTube Videos