Saturday, May 24, 2008

"There's a lot of problems" with the English Language?

:WARNING:
:Random Uptight Rantings to Follow:











OK, I know that I am a language freak, but it really concerns me when I hear really "educated" people using the wrong verb in a sentence. I almost don't hear the verb "are" used in the plural with "there" anymore. I started noticing this a few years ago, and now it is all I hear, except from the other language freaks.

I thought that I might be wrong and that the rule might have changed, so I googled it.

Here is part of an article I found:
In sentences beginning with there is or there are, the subject follows the verb. Since there is not the subject, the verb agrees with what follows.
There are many questions.
There is a question.

I hear "there's a lot of cookies" or "there's a lot of people" etc., etc.

I don't know why I even thought about this tonight. It is totally random.
I know that I don't have perfect grammar. My husband keeps me straight so I won't get too high and mighty. I mess up just like anyone, but when I hear it over and over it reminds me of when we went to Greece years ago. Our choir from Ole Miss was singing there and all over we were seeing them taking signs down and then we heard that they were taking down all of the English. They were passing a Greek only law. It seems that English had infiltrated their country so much that they wanted to take steps to preserve their heritage.

I know this is a silly post, because it probably doesn't matter much to most people. I personally don't think anyone should be ashamed of using good grammar. It is OK to have standards.

Not sure how much people care now. I have seen letters from teachers that made me want to cry. The grammar was so incorrect. I thought what could this teacher be teaching my child if she writes like this.

I may should delete this post before anyone reads it. I just think we shouldn't lower our standards as a country. We hear so much about school being dumbed down. As a teacher this really makes me want to do something about this issue.

OK.......I have said my peace and now I can move on. :)

I want to thank Jay for asking us to sing for the youth steak supper fundraiser. Matt and I love to sing together whenever we can. It has been a long time. He was so happy that he got to sing his favorite song by Lyle Lovett, "She's No Lady, She's My Wife". It's a classic.
We came home tonight with 4 ziploc bags full of baked potatoes, several bags of chopped lettuce, a huge bag of steaks and grilled chicken and even some peach cobbler. There was so much food left over that everyone left with bags of food. That takes me back to Pearson BC when we took home food from every church dinner because they had pity on us and our 4 children. Then, I was a stay-at-home mom, so that food really helped.

I am going to have to fight Matt for the piano this summer. He practices every chance he gets. Funny thing is, I am the one who really needs the practice. I am going to bring my keyboard home from school so we will have two here. We have found some great new websites that have public domain piano music. Bach, Mozart, etc. Alright.

OK, enough babbling. My eyelids are getting closer and closer together.

Hope your worship is great tomorrow. Praise God.

Now to something that really matters:
We need to pray for the Steven Curtis Chapman family. Their beautiful 5 year old was killed when one of their teenage sons was coming home and didn't see her in the driveway. What an awful accident. Here is the link to the page they dedicated to her. http://chapmanchannel.typepad.com/inmemoryofmaria/
I am always so moved by how I see God working in this family. They are such an inspiration to me. Please lift them up in prayer.

Sorry, my thought train jumped around a lot tonight.

No comments:

YouTube Videos